APRA has published the list of the top 20 finalists for the 2022 APRA Silver Scroll Award | Kaitito Kaiaka, and the five finalists for the 2022 APRA Maioha Award. The Silver Scroll Awards presentation ceremony will be held at Spark Arena, Tāmaki Makaurau, on October 18.
2022 APRA Silver Scroll Top 20 finalists
- 35 written by Rob Ruha, Kaea Hills, Te Amorutu Broughton, Ainsley Tai, Dan Martin, Whenua Patuwai, performed by Ka Hao and Rob Ruha
- Aho/Beams written by Anna Coddington, Steph Brown, James Ikner, performed by Anna Coddington and Louis Baker
- Andy written and performed by Emily C. Browning
- Ankle Deep written and performed by Christabel Williams
- Best Behaviour written by Chelsea Jade Metcalf and Tyler Spry, performed by Chelsea Jade
- Beyond the Stars written by Tami Neilson and Delaney Davidson, performed by Tami Neilson and Willie Nelson
- Bit Part written by Nicholas Cunningham and Dorian Noval, performed by Tooms
- Find Me written by Muroki Mbote Wa Githinji and Josh Fountain performed by Muroki
- Garden of Eden written and performed by Naomi Ludlow aka Ny Oh
- Girl At Night written by Natalie Hutton, Minnie Robberds, Joel Becker, Angus Murray, performed by There’s A Tuesday
- He Ōrite written by Troy Kingi, Iraia Whakamoe, Ryan Prebble, James Coyle, performed by Troy Kingi and The Nudge
- I Got You written by Georgia Lines, Djeisan Suskov performed by Georgia Lines
- I’m A Bit Out Of Shape written and performed by Luke Buda
- Iris written and performed by Reb Fountain
- Lawn written and performed by Hannah Topp aka Aldous Harding
- My Boy written and performed by Marlon Williams
- My Heart Never Sleeps written by Stephen Atutolu, P. Smith (aka Troy Kingi), Choicevaughan, performed by Diggy Dupé and Troy Kingi
- Not Today written by Steph Brown and James Ikner, performed by Lips
- Peacetime Orders written by Anthonie Tonnon and Jonathan Pearce, performed by Anthonie Tonnon
- Taku Raumiri written by Herea Winitana, Turanga Merito, performed by Uru Whetu, Torere, Te Aroha
2022 APRA Maioha Award Top 5 finalists
- Te Aroha Mauroa written and performed by Mohi Allen
- Rangatira/Owner written and performed by Ria Hall
- E Hine Ē written by Em-Haley Walker, performed by Te Kaahu
- Te Iho written by Aja Ropata, Byllie-Jean, Chris Wethey performed by Aja & Byllie-Jean
- Taera written by Rob Ruha, Rory Noble, performed by Rob Ruha
APRA members can now vote for their top song choices, which will determine the five Silver Scroll finalists and three Maioha Award finalists including the winners.
The Silver Scroll Top 20 was decided by a panel of established songwriters, producers, composers and performers. The panel spent a month listening to 300+ entries and then joined an in-person meeting to discuss their top songs.
Judging this year were:
Anji Sami (She’s So Rad), Boh Runga, Cass Basil (Tiny Ruins, King Sweeties), Deva Mahal, Gussie Larkin (Mermaidens, Earth Tongue), Haz Beats (Homebrew, Team Dynamite), Julien Dyne, J.Y Lee (Yoko-Zuna), Nadia Reid, Sam Taylor (Anthonie Tonnon, Nadia Reid), and Sam Trevethick (Shapeshifter, Sambora, Voices).
The Top 5 finalists for the 2022 APRA Maioha Award were decided by a panel of well-known and respected industry figures who have a good understanding of the waiata reo Māori landscape. They were Matai Smith (Tūranga FM), Nadia Marsh (Te Māngai Pāho), Ngatapa Black (songwriter, presenter), and Tama Waipara (Tairāwhiti Arts Festival Director, vocalist).